For full Label Printer Integration installation and setup instructions, click here.
STEP 1. Print a local file.
Open your nametag template file and print that directly from your P-Touch software. If the template prints successfully, skip to Step 2.
If the label doesn't print, check the following:
- Is the printer plugged in and turned on?
- Is the Editor light on the front of your printer off (QL-700 only)?
- Is the printer's sleep mode disabled?
- Is the correct driver for your printer installed on the machine?
- Is your printer a supported QL-700 series or QL-800 series printer?
If you answered no to any of the above, correct the issue and try again. If you are able to answer yes to all of the above but still can't print the label template from P-Touch, this indicates a problem with your computer or printer, and you will need to contact your organization's IT team for assistance.
STEP 2. Ensure the software is installed properly.
If you can print a file locally, that could mean the printer is working but there could be a problem with its ability to connect with your VolunteerHub site.
To uncover possible connection issues, check the following:
- Is the latest version of the 32-bit b-PAC SDK installed on your machine? The 64-bit version will not work, even if you are using 64-bit Windows.
- Is the VolunteerHub Label Printer software installed on the same machine the printer is installed on? If not, send us a message to request the software download link.
- Are you logged into your VolunteerHub site as an administrator on the same machine the printer is installed on?
- Is the machine the printer is installed on running Windows Vista, 7, 8, or 10? Older versions of Windows as well as Mac and Linux operating systems are not supported.
- Is the Connect box in the VolunteerHub Label Printer software checked?
- Did you enter your VolunteerHub site's URL correctly in the VolunteerHub Label Printer software? Don't forget to include the https:// prefix.
- Did you select the correct template file in the VolunteerHub Label Printer software?
- Did you select the correct printer name from the Nametag Printer drop-down menu in your VolunteerHub site? You can see what printer has been selected by navigating to Settings > Kiosk Device (or, if using OnSite, in the Setup page).
- Was the user not already checked into that event? The printer will only print a nametag the first time a user attempts to check into the event unless you click Undo Check-In in OnSite first.
If you answered no to any of the above, correct the issue and try again. If you are able to answer yes to all of the above but still can't print labels automatically as users check into events, continue to Step 3.
STEP 3: Check for errors.
Once you have verified that the printer and software are installed and configured properly, the problem may lie between your OnSite/Kiosk and the VolunteerHub Label Printer software.
Try the following advanced troubleshooting steps:
- Does the status/log area of the VolunteerHub Label Printer software say "Ready to print" or show an error message? If an error message, send us a message and attach a screenshot of the entire VolunteerHub Label Printer software window. However, if the error message includes the phrase "System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException," this means you have not completed the first troubleshooting item under Step 2 above.
- Does the Nametag Printer drop-down menu list two of the same printer name in your VolunteerHub site's Settings > Kiosk Device page (or, if using OnSite, in the Setup page)? If so, a duplicate printer name is interfering with the connection. To resolve the issue, uncheck the Connect box in the VolunteerHub Label Printer software, change the printer name to a new, unique name and re-check the Connect box.
- Is your internet connection reliable? An intermittent or "choppy" internet connection can lead to dropped requests between OnSite/Kiosk and your printer. Check your connection speed and verify that you have at least 20mbps download speeds and that at no point that speed drops below 5mbps.
If you are still unable to print nametags after trying all troubleshooting steps on this page, please contact support for assistance.